If there is one thing that I have learned it is that my work day is 100% better when I am in my routine.
According to doctors everywhere and all health and fitness articles, it is important to get into a routine when it comes to eating, exercise, and sleep. By doing this you will increase your energy and stimulate your metabolism which will also help you shed those few pounds that you might want to get rid of before summer is in full swing!
Here are 5 simple tips that I do that are backed by science to make you feel great, and help you shed those extra pounds!
- Sleep – Now being a recent college graduate, I have not gotten enough sleep in about 4 years, but when I did get my 8 hours I would feel well rested and ready to take on the next day. Everyones body is different and some people may require up to 10 hours in order to feel completely rested. According to SleepFoundation.org anywhere between 8-10 hours is the recommended amount of sleep for an average human to get. Unfortunately in todays day and age there are many things that will mess with what is called the “Circadian Rhythm”. This is just a fancy word for your body’s natural sleep/sleepyness pattern. Finding the right time to go to sleep and wake up is probably the most important factor to feeling great and being able to lose weight consistently.
- A Healthy Diet – This is by far the hardest thing for me to keep consistent in my daily routine. My first loves are donuts and pizza and not lettuce and brown rice, but trust me eating healthy will give you results. The main thing when it comes to diet is moderation. According to weightwatchers.com even chocolate is okay in moderation. Even though chocolate does have a relatively high rate of saturated fat it is actually a kind of fat called stearic acid and it has little effects on your cholesterol levels. So you want a mini Reese’s cup, go for it, but eating the whole bag is gonna be a problem. Eating a balanced diet (from all 5 food groups) is how you can get started on losing weight or maintaining where you are at. A great place to learn more about counting calories is ChooseMyPlate.gov.
- Daily Multi-Vitamins/Dietary Supplements – I used to be skeptical about multi-vitamins until I actually started taking them. They really do have a positive effect on your body. They can increase energy and stimulate metabolism and all you have to do is remember to take them! (which is harder than you would think). For women there are certain things that our bodies may lack (i.e calcium, iron, biotin) and figuring out what you need more of would be the first step in finding the perfect multivitamin for you. This is a link to some of the top women’s multi-vitamins. I made mention of Dietary Supplements above and I really do believe they are effective to help with weight loss, but it is important to do your research and talk to someone who has experience before picking one. Most diet pills are not FDA approved and can have harmful affects on your body. I have taken a few including Hydroxycut, Opti-Women and Fit Miss and will post a product comparison blog a little later. A good one for starters would be Opti-Women.
- Exercise – There are number of people who despise workouts and even the mention of the word makes them cringe. I don’t know what to tell you other than it is necessary especially if you are trying to loose weight. You don’t have to run 10 miles or even run at all. All you have to do is elevate your heart rate to a specific level that is based off of your current weight and height (Calculate Here) and maintain it for at least 30 minutes a day. It is as simple as that.
- WATER! – Drink it! Without water this whole be happy, healthy and lose weight thing won’t work. If your body is dehydrated it messes with the natural rhythm and can be dangerous. A simple rule to live by is 8×8. Eight, 8oz glasses of water a day. This is close to the Institute of Medicine foundation recommendation. Another easy way to figure out how much water your body needs is half of your weight. I weigh 145lbs so I would need 72.5 oz of water a day.
Each of these tips separately will benefit your body but putting them all together and making a routine out of it will help you feel great and loose extra weight!
What is important is to be happy in the skin you are in. If you are tired, groggy and irritable try getting on a better sleep schedule. If you have a few extra pounds you want to lose or you just don’t feel healthy try implementing these tips into your daily routine. I promise, you wont regret it! Till next time.